Friday, October 8, 2010

Hopes for Nursing

Hello everyone, my name is Rey. This will be my very first blog. I'm an Rn that recently quit his job at an intermediate  neurology floor. My first blog will be about nurse burn out. 


Suppose that you do get burned out in nursing. YES. Its not so uncommon. Many nurses experience a burn out. I was one of those nurses. After a year and a half, I was no longer eager to stay in this profession. Nursing burnout means that a nurse no longer finds enjoyment in their profession and it occurs for a variety of reason. Mostly, because nursing is a very overwhelming profession filled with so many stressors. High patient acuity and not enough nurses are certainly things that could led to burn out. Another interesting causes of burn out is autonomy and lack of recognition of professional nurses. 
 I wasn't burn out because of the pressure and the intensity.  It was the lack of growth and not enough opportunity. I honestly didn't feel like I was being push to advance my skills. I was saying the same things and teaching the same kinds of patients. It felt like I was at a dead end. You might find it even odd, but if your floor that does not stimulate you to learn  anything new and not encouraging you to become the best nurse you potentially could be, its probably time for a transfer.  Fortunately nursing is a diverse field where you could do just about anything you wish. Oh and always be confident that you could do just about anything. You are a nurse and you didn't become a nurse so easily. You worked very hard in school and it's no use to be limited in just one floor. At least I didn't feel that way. I think you should also be proactive, so go learn!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment